World Storytelling Institute
"A Young People's Storytelling-Theatre
Workshop and Production"
Section for Teenagers --
Instructor: Dr Eric Miller, 98403 94282,
Regarding the Section for Teenagers --
This Workshop would involve writing,
telling, and acting both original stories
and adaptations of some famous stories.
Teenage participants would create a number
of stories and dramas that they would tell
and/or act-out in a final performance.
Notes on "Creative Writing".
Notes on "Some Possible Reasons to
Message for Teenagers --
Are you sometimes scared about what
people might think of your opinions?
Do you "stay in your shell" much of the
Are you ready to find and express the
Have you ever thought about what you
might like to say to the world?
In this Workshop you would be coached in,
1) Story Composition (finding and developing
ideas, themes, and characters from within
your self, and organising this material into
beautiful and interesting forms of storytelling
and theatre). You and your batchmates could
play the roles of characters you have imagined,
breathing life into your creations.
2) Creative Writing (plays and short stories).
3) Storytelling (using voice and body to
4) Public Speaking (being confident, clear,
and able to express various ideas and
5) Acting / the Art of Theatre (acting-out
plays in teams).
In this Workshop, you could
* Discover, explore, and express aspects
of your self.
* Develop your creative and logical
thinking, speaking, and writing abilities.
* Develop your interpersonal skills.
* Experience the joy of speaking, listening,
sharing your thoughts, debating, and
expressing your thoughts and feelings.
* Develop your own originality and even
trends, while bonding with others and
making good memories.
Message for Parents --
This Storytelling-theatre Workshop is
designed to help teenagers to:
* Organise their thoughts.
* Think on their own, instead of copying
* Think on their feet.
* Overcome shyness when speaking before
an audience, and gain confidence in their
* Captivate their audience, both emotionally
* Arrest and hold their listeners' attentions
as they paint pictures with words and gestures,
and weave unforgettable tales about moving
situations and thrilling adventures.
* Practice and improve their English language
speaking and listening abilities.
* Become more articulate and aware of their
thoughts and feelings, and be more able to
* Develop their imaginations, creativity,
resourcefulness, and expressiveness.
* Become more aware of the mechanics
and details of story structure and dramatic
Adolescence, the teen years, is the time
for beginning to establish one's personal
and professional identity. This period need
not be a time of isolation, and anxiety for
the young person. It could be a time of
sharing, of giving and receiving support
and helpful communication, during which
the teenagers could talk with others who
might be going through similar experiences.
This Workshop is designed to help
teenagers to talk more about their thoughts,
feelings, fears, hopes, and dreams.
The Workshop process would help to
draw out the teenagers, and give them
chances to experience the joy and
satisfaction of speaking and being
This Workshop would help teenagers
to find their selves, and their "voices" --
as speakers, writers, artists, performers,
and human beings. Workshop participants
would not have to worry about being judged
regarding their feelings, opinions, and ideas.
The Workshop would help participants
develop into mature individuals.